Monday, October 4, 2010

Beat: LGBT Issues

The beat that I plan to cover pertains to politics in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. Specifically, I am interested in learning more about the fight for equality amongst the LGBT community and the politics that surround this both here in Colorado and nationwide. Many would say that this topic is a hot one right now as we have recently seen California’s Proposition 8 ruled unconstitutional and also had a failed attempt to repeal the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy. While these particular cases have made national headlines, it still leaves many LGBT Americans questioning what the next step in this fight for civil rights will be and I am interested in documenting this.


This is an important subject for a variety of reasons but most importantly, I chose to cover this beat because it will have a direct impact on my life as a gay man. Much like my parents and grandparents fought for their rights to be treated equally as women and people of color, I will have to battle for my civil rights in the same way. While our country considers itself progressive, this is a fight that has challenged this idea of openness that we have and it is not only important to chronicle this for future generations, but also to keep ourselves informed about what is happening in our community and how we can have an impact.


Important contacts in this area will undoubtedly come from various Colorado organizations including One Colorado, a newly formed non-profit aimed at achieving and supporting full equality for all LGBT residents living in our state. Another great source of information will come from my colleagues at my internship, Out Front Colorado, who regularly follow issues that impact the LGBT community and can also put me into contact with other important information sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment